Re: Vim project helps in Uganda, Emacs shall be next

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Vim project helps in Uganda, Emacs shall be next
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 09:56:52 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-21 09:33]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > It really does not matter what are goals of Vim or GNU
> > project
>
> The Emacs-Vim $EDITOR war... that was ages ago.

I have no idea about the war, but where there are wars there are
veterans. They never forget. ;-)

For me it does not matter, I use sometimes nvi as vi, and Vim and Gvim
sometimes, e3em as Emacs emulation, zile, zile-on-guile, nano, but
mostly Emacs. I like Emacs in console as it is more consistent with
`mutt' email reader, and I use Emacs in console also on my mobile
devices. Today extensible editors like Vim and Emacs may emulate each
other. Differences are in speed and bloat.

viper-mode is interesting feature of Emacs but if I invoke M-x
viper-mode in GUI, then it does not reflect same in console, it is not
global mode how I see it. Sometimes "emacsclient -nw"
blocks.

I can use basic key bindings of vi editors in Emacs, and I think it is
equally well as Emacs key bindings.

Modal modes would allow much more key prefixes, that is also something
to think about.

Combination of key bindings also work well.

It is often pleasure to use vi key bindings in Emacs. I wonder why no
Spacemacs users are reporting to this mailing list.

No conflicts between editors on my side.