Re: Vim project helps in Uganda, Emacs shall be next

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Vim project helps in Uganda, Emacs shall be next
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 09:14:15 +0300

* Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> [2021-02-17 08:13]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > Just as Vim users contribute to educational development in Uganda,
> > Emacs users can contribute too. And we shall make larger project then
> > Vim.
> >

> Why only Uganda?

Not that "only" was mentioned, it is just that Vim does it in Uganda
and I can do something in Uganda, but I can do equally well in Kenya
or Tanzania as there I go too, from time to time. Now I have resources
in Uganda, so I do it in Ugnada.

> 1. My opinion is that if one free software is already working to improve
>    conditions in an area then a second project should pick another
>    area. We are not competing. We must work in cohesion.

It really does not matter. I am unable to help in other country for
time being. I can now do something in Uganda. Picking another area is
not really comfortable or financially affordable option. Instead of
renovating the school building for little money I would then need to
pay that money for flights. Uganda is large country, people live in
poverty conditions, many children do not go to school. Helping with
education creates better conditions in future that also positively
impact other countries, as we are all connected by business.

Vim project helps in Uganda since longer time, Bram Moolenaar made
such wonderful social betterments.

See:

https://iccf.nl/
https://iccf.nl/kcc.html
https://iccf-holland.org/news.html

and finally Google Photos of Bram Moolenaar's contributions in Uganda:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO7A4tWDjnDpZ8vZbsB5_No5j9A72PSWy_-p8np3bLKiq3Spq0WmrcQC64DZzb0Pg?key=N1VTekZYNjZENWtjMFVQcGVfWFQ3WDhqOXFNQldB

Bram Moolenaar and Vim users support those social betterment projects,
he receives donations, one part goes for those betterments.

That is really great as a side project of Vim text editor. Instead of
getting rich by selling editor, he makes generations of children come
out with better education.

Education in Uganda is not really free, maybe somewhere on
paper. Children

> 2. I think the goals of Vim and GNU projects are not the same. GNU
>    manifesto is much broader, if we read word-by-word. FSF also needs
>    funding to cover those targets.

It really does not matter what are goals of Vim or GNU project as
helping in social betterment is a side project, something I do while I
do other activities, on the way, along the way. There is no need for
manifesto.

It would be nice if FSF could sponsor the education project I have
already prepared, we will see that, as I will send the proposal when
finished.

Jean