Re: Vim project helps in Uganda, Emacs shall be next

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Vim project helps in Uganda, Emacs shall be next
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 15:46:22 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-21 11:56]:

> >> I have no idea about the war, but where there are wars
> >> there are veterans
> >
> > There are and let's pray it stays that way for many years to
> > come...
>
> In the US armed forces it holds that
>
>   [a] veteran is a former member of the Armed Forces ... who
>   served on active duty and was discharged under conditions,
>   which were other than dishonorable [1]
>
> That means there are 20 year old US Air force veterans!
>
> My own definition of being a veteran with respect to
> technology is that you are a veteran after using it actively
> for 10 years.

Only if editor wars are involved. Or OS wars or similar.

> This definition IMO holds for a lot of things. Doing
> martial arts from age 20 to 30 most definitely makes you
> a veteran, repairing bikes for a decade and you are a pro
> (often you are as good or better than the actuals
> professionals by then) ... and after 10 years, you should even
> understand your own wife pretty well, ey?

Buhahhaa. Is better making research and understanding many different
people, not focusing on one only. It is illusion of social statuses.

We have virtual social statuses, and real social statuses. Both are
illusions, often deceptions, and often frauds.

> So yes, a lot of people are Unix and Emacs veterans by now!
> Does that feel good? I don't know actually... well, yes!
> why not? :)

veteran from Wordnet:

* Overview of noun veteran

The noun veteran has 3 senses (first 3 from tagged texts)
1. (7) veteran, veteran soldier -- (a serviceman who has seen considerable
active service; "the veterans laughed at the new recruits")
2. (5) veteran, vet, ex-serviceman -- (a person who has served in the armed
forces)
3. (5) veteran, old-timer, oldtimer, old hand, warhorse, old stager, stager --
(an experienced person who has been through many battles; someone who has given
long service)

So when I say "veteran" I refer to definition (3) above, one that has
been in battles, not just serving without battles.