Re: Reviewing versioned backups

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Reviewing versioned backups
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:56:31 +0100

On 3/23/21 10:31 AM, Jean Louis wrote:
* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> [2021-03-23 11:39]:
On Monday, 22 Mar 2021 at 23:25, Jean Louis wrote:
I am using RCS and to review some previous version I do: `C-x v ~
VERSION-NUMBER` then I get full file visible in the buffer.
I think the OP is using the simple backup file method built-in to Emacs,
not a version control system, i.e. that files are backed up using a
simple numbering scheme.
How do you do that?

My variable `make-backup-file' is T. But that I think does only a copy
with ~ on the end.

How do you enable backup files with simple numbering scheme from
default?

Of course it can be done with special customizations, but is there way
to do it with default variables in Emacs?

See: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Numbered-Backups.html

Maybe the docstring of make-backup-files could point to that possibility, to improve discoverability?

Thibaut