Re: How should this profiler report interpreted?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How should this profiler report interpreted?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 22:45:37 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Nothing in Emacs should ever make the whole computer
> non-responsive, indeed, tho this is largely the
> responsibility of the OS rather than of Emacs itself.
> Did the OP say that his whole computer was unresponsive?

No, I said that, so don't blame the OP. I was wrong in this
particular issue and hope - in time - to be forgiven.

:)

>> 99% CPU?
>
> The regexp matcher will happily use 99% of a CPU core given
> the chance, yes.

Right, everything will.

With systemd(1), if you all remember how it was a couple of
years ago - it was like an echo, over and over, "systemd.
Don't know anything about it. Don't like it" - but with
systemd there is an easy way to limit resource use tho, e.g.

  $ systemd-run --scope -p CPUQuota=SLICE% CMD

Remember init? Run levels were hardcoded - in *file names*!
Unbelievable. And when Debian went for systemd, all the
derivates quickly followed suit. So much for "Ubuntu isn't
Debian, Debian is loosing its significance and market share."

And as I remember Debian was forked (for the nth time) again
for this very reason, the great init/systemd polemic into yet
another Debian fork, this one with the claim for fame that it
stuck to init. Where are these guys now? he-ll-o?

But comparisons to the Sino-Soviet split are maybe
exaggerated...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal