Re: How can I automatically determine the best frame-height?

From: Wayne Harris
Subject: Re: How can I automatically determine the best frame-height?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:06:02 -0300

David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> writes:

> In my .emacs file, I have code like the following at the top:
> -------------
> (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 0)
> (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 68)
> --------------
>
> I typically run on a Windows 10 laptop, connecting to an external monitor.
> The frame height of 68 works out to put the status line just above the
> Windows status bar, when connecting to my usual monitor.
>
> Sometimes, I run the laptop without an external monitor. In that case, that
> startup code is a little annoying, as I then have to shrink and move the
> window a few times until I get it in the right position.
>
> Is there a better way to do this, so it will just automatically size itself
> so that the top is at the top of the screen, and the bottom is snug against
> the status bar?

That is annoying.  I use --fullheight on the command line.  This could
be useful to you.  At least on Windows it start up with the perfect
height for me.

However, when I open a new frame, the new frame is taller than its
parent.  I don't get why.  All I wish was for the frame to keep the same
dimensions as the frame from which I issued the command.