icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect

From: arvid-harnack
Subject: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:52:58 +0200 (CEST)

>From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>To: arvid-harnack@lavache.com
>Subject: Re: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
>Date: 18/06/2021 13:54:37 Europe/Paris
>Cc: moasenwood@zoho.eu;
  >  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>> Have found that calling (icomplete-vertical-mode 1) without
>> first calling (icomplete-mode 1), does not enable (icomplete-vertical-mode
>> 1).

>Yes, this is intended. icomplete-vertical-mode is a submode of icomplete.

It may be intentional, but I do net see the benefit for it to function that way.

Users either want icomplete-horizontal or icomplete-vertical.

Calling (icomplete-vertical-mode 1) should be enough

Not like this

;; use icomplete-vertical

(icomplete-mode 1)

(icomplete-vertical-mode 1)

It feels very surprising to users and non-intuitive.