Re: Emacs i18n

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 14:36:26 +0200

Le mercredi 21 juillet 2021, 14:08:13 CEST Emanuel Berg via Users list for
the GNU Emacs text editor a écrit :
> Possible loophole: What if they use Emacs while translating?

of cooourse, what else? haha

first form of encouragement, that’s good

> Allowed, but only if they spend at least 50% of the time not
> actually translating but instead working on perfecting the
> Elisp CAT software and associated English-French database (and
> French-English for that matter, we just reverse the lists and
> transpose the matrixes). This is how far I got BTW, and there
> is more on that from the people on this list...

the mapping aren’t bijective… actually nor injective nor surjective, I
mean there is no perfect mapping from one language to another :/ and
french is particularely nasty in that it tends to *very* quickly develop
false friends, especially wrt english (it’s pretty astounishing O.o)

>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/ecat-incal.el
>
> Please use it as a ... head start!
>
> I think this is an area where FOSS and GNU/Linux (BSD etc) and
> Emacs is a little bit behind, so if you guys can put us on the
> top there just like with Gnus for mail we are, inspired by the
> ideology of techno-totalitarianism perhaps, willing to grant
> certain favors and exceptions, to show our appreciation.
> Maybe a compromise, can you write the manual simultaneously in
> several languages, in English _and_ French for example?

would be cool…