Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 08:35:53 +0800

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 11:56 PM Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > > Try just Isearch.  Search for `(require . cl)' (note the dot).
> >
> > Do you mean: `M-x isearch-forward RET (require . cl) RET'?
>
> `C-s (require . cl)'

I tried again and it worked, as shown in the attachment.

> > I tried the above command under `.emacs.d/straight/repos' directory,
> > but it doesn't give any results.
>
> If cl.el[c] was loaded, then I'd expect that fact
> to be recorded in `load-history'.  Why you're not
> finding it there, I don't know.  If it's in fact
> not there then I don't know why that's the case
> either.
>
> > > If you have a library `foo.el' in directory
> > > `/some/dir/somewhere/', where `foo.el' requires
> > > library cl then you'll find a sexp such as this:
> > >
> > >  ("/some/dir/somewhere/foo.el"
> > >   (require . cl)
> > >   ...)
> > >
> > > You may well have loaded multiple libraries that
> > > require cl.  You may be interested in all of them,
> > > but the first one is likely the one that loaded
> > > cl.el[c].
> > >
> > > (Searching `C-h v load-history' in *Help* is
> > > harder, because it may split `(require 'cl)' across
> > > two lines.)
> >
> > If so, the spanning line pattern should do the trick. Am I right?
>
> Yes. `C-M-s' for this in *Help* for `C-h v load-history'.
>
> (require[
>  ]+[.][
>  ]+cl)

Thank you for showing me this pattern. TBF, it seems to me that the
syntax of line spanning match pattern is very strange. It would be
nice if there were some explanation for how to build this pattern.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province