Re: Email Help

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: Email Help
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 19:10:39 -0500

Jason Sanroma <jason@sanroma.net> writes:

> Thanks! It now works. So now to read/send mail in Emacs is there a
> certain code for that?

You should see a buffer which is empty with something like

-UUU:**--F1  Gnus: *Group* {nntp:news.gmane.io}

on the mode line (second line from the bottom). You type

^

This will open a buffer named *Server*. I will contain 2-3 lines like

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:news.gmane.io} (opened)

(there should be a line for gmail, too, in my example I only have those
two lines).

Put point on the second line and hit the Enter key. Gnus will take a few
seconds (it will emit messages in the mini-buffer, though), and a new
buffer will open, with something like

-UUU:----F1  Gnus: *Gnus Browse Server* {nntp:news.gmane.io}

on the mode line.

A very long list of news groups will appear. Search for
gmane.emacs.help. When you find it, put point on that line and type

then

then

This will bring you back to the *Group* buffer, but now it will have one
line in it,

       *: gmane.emacs.help

Put point on that line and hit the Enter key. Gnus will ask how many
articles to get, enter a small number like 200 and hit Enter.

Now, search for Sanroma. When you find that first message, put point on
that line and hit Enter.

Report back to us when you get there.

Leo