Re: Workshop to save M$ Windows users - help needed

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Workshop to save M$ Windows users - help needed
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 01:19:05 -0300

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 15:51, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> I still don't think I understand.  Emacs is perfectly capable of
> fetching URLs, so why would you need wget?  If you base this on wget,
> you will need to cope with complexities that you had better avoided:
> how to download a program, where to find it, how to install it so it's
> on PATH, etc. etc.  Please believe me that arranging for a simple Lisp
> command that fetches a URL and saves it to a file is orders of
> magnitude simpler.

Hi Eli,

I have a ton of code that uses wget. I don't have an elisp version of
wget yet, but I am trying to write one. I am working on two things at
the same time now:

  1. a function eshell/fakewget that will run a minimalist fake wget
     written in Lisp,

  2. a way to download a wget.exe that works that can used in eshell.

I prefer to have both of them instead of just one.

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs