Re: [OFFPTOPIC] ACM digital library (was: Lisp books)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [OFFPTOPIC] ACM digital library (was: Lisp books)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 07:44:23 +0200

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> But the ACM is not a corporation, it's a professional
> organization that's supposed to serve its members, such as
> myself (hence the `.org` compared to Springer's `.com`).

As I once thought when smoking weed under a bridge in Riga,
"if the information is free it doesn't matter what services
are sold around it". Yeah, that's right - that wasn't weed but
ordinary tobacco and it was actually a police officer who said
that so I HEARD, rather that thought it ...

Nonetheless I agree ...

I remember during my night black bike shop period -
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/work-photos/stand.jpg -
I remember reading the DIN number on a hand tool (DIN =
Deutsches Institut für Normung = the German industrial
standard which is used here as well) and thought, hey, it
would be cool to read that!

But the standard, i.e. the damn document as a PDF wasn't free
of charge! They wanted money to just mail the document to you!

Actually maybe the DIM pointed to an ISO ... that sounds
likely. Still it's DIM.

There were documents that were free of charge tho.

So were the documents useful?

Not the ones I saw :)

--
underground experts united