Re: Poll: best hackable window manager or DE for Emacs-loving freedom ac

From: Samuel Banya
Subject: Re: Poll: best hackable window manager or DE for Emacs-loving freedom activists
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 09:53:01 -0400

Also, if you suck at 'xrandr' like me, you can always use 'arandr' to view your
multiple monitor setups and save an 'xrandr' config accordingly for multiple
monitor setups:
https://christian.amsuess.com/tools/arandr/

Sure, you can then learn the config syntax and go from there, but I get too
frustrated at times with stuff like this when I wish Linux would "just work"
with this kind of mentality in mind. However, that's the fun part too as you
kind of make it into your own thing.

Not sure about everyone else on here, but even when I like minimal DE or WM
setups, I just expect a couple things to work on Linux as a user:
- Sound ('pavucontrol' if I'm using PulseAudio)
- Video ('arandr' for multiple monitors)
- Networking ('nmtui')

For this reason alone, I actually prefer GUI or curses type apps for these
three components as its always a pain to try to configure either of these just
to get a basic OS working when it should just work.

I know that's a bit of a segway, but it might help you with your WM choice and
config.

Sincerely,

Sam