Re: Poll: best hackable window manager or DE for Emacs-loving freedom ac

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Poll: best hackable window manager or DE for Emacs-loving freedom activists
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 02:58:32 +0100

Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:

> * Poll: best hackable and keyboard-driven WM/DE for sw
> freedom activists
>
>  1. i3/Sway
>  2. EXWM
>  3. Ratpoison
>  4. StumpWM
>  5. Awesome
>  6. bspwm
>  7. xmonad
>  8. GNOME
>  9. Mate
> 10. XFCE
> 11. LXDE
> 12. Other---specify:

I don't use a DE but as WM I use openbsd-cwm (which is
available on Linux as well, from for example the Debian
package 'cwm').

I like it because of the keys which are configurable from
a text file as it should be, and you are not only able to
execute the WM's own commands that way but also arbitrary
shell commands.

Here [last] is my conf file which isn't extensive but shows
both those cases (the quotation mark syntax for shell
commands). So far, it has been all I needed.

Here is everything else I use [1] and here is how it is
launched in .xinitrc [2]. Note the picom compositor, I was
told - and I think it's true - having it on makes it faster to
switch between windows in X. For example, between the xterm
and mpv windows, something that happens thru the WM shortcuts.
So no mouse needed, ever.

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/SOFTWARE
[2] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.xinitrc

# -*- conf -*-