Re: limit native compilation - how

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: limit native compilation - how
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:34:04 +0200

> From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:54:55 -0600
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> I don't know if it is it safe to simply include the native-lisp folder
> or if this would causes issues for Windows users who do have libgccjib
> but don't have the same CPU as I do.   (Locally I have: Intel(R)
> Core(TM) i7-6950X CPU @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GHz)   I don't know if the eln
> files are CPU/arch-specific or if this should work fine for (e.g.) i9,
> AMD chips, those with newer chipsets than my x99, and so forth.

This is not about the CPU you have, this is about the CPU-specific
code-tuning options you pass to libgccjit when you natively-compile
the *.el files.  Since I find it hard to believe you tweaked
native-comp-compiler-options to pass non-default options to the
compiler, the resulting code should be generic enough to run on any
64-bit machine running Windows (if you build for x86_64) or on any
machine running any version of Windows if you build for x86.

Again, this is the theory.  But here we have at leas partial proof
from the fact that Emacs itself runs on all those other systems, since
emacs.exe is compiled and linked by the same utilities used to produce
the *.eln files.