Re: limit native compilation - how

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: limit native compilation - how
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:54:55 -0600

Home, safe and sound!

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 1:04 PM H. Dieter Wilhelm
<dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
> Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:
> >  I'm wondering if it would be more fluid to compile packages natively
> >  during installation and updating?  The user expects then a delay,
> >  anyway, and might be spared small "jerkings" during normal operation..
> >
> > You can pass make an argument to cause this.  This has been my usual
> > routine for the last several months. (IIRC) NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1
>
> Thanks, I've read about this option but I can't find where to specify
> it?

Here's the "usual" recipe I've been using.  Sometimes (when I screw up
my build tree) I use "make maintainer-clean" instead of "make clean".

git pull && make clean && ./autogen.sh && ./configure
--with-native-compilation && make -j 20 NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1

> > I have been away on vacation this weekend, returning home in a few
> > hours.  I plan to rebuild emacs-28 with the recently added patches
> > when I have access to my desktop system again.
>
> And how are you bringing the native-lisp/ folder into the Windows
> package?

This is what I haven't figured out yet.

I wonder if we need to ask Andrea about this:

I don't know if it is it safe to simply include the native-lisp folder
or if this would causes issues for Windows users who do have libgccjib
but don't have the same CPU as I do.   (Locally I have: Intel(R)
Core(TM) i7-6950X CPU @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GHz)   I don't know if the eln
files are CPU/arch-specific or if this should work fine for (e.g.) i9,
AMD chips, those with newer chipsets than my x99, and so forth.

> > Just before leaving I was able to successfully sign my packages.  (I
> > didn't find it very difficult to perform the signing under windows.)
>
> Very good!  Please show me how..

Given a working install of GNU PGP for Windows (which I already had)
it was quite easy:

Ensure your gpg is working at that you have your keys setup:

  # gpg --list-keys

And, given that works correctly, in ~/emacs-upload use something like:

  # for f in *.zip ; do gpg -b $f ; done

>From there I believe we just need to create the directive files.
Regarding which, see:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/FTP-Upload-Directive-File.html#FTP-Upload-Directive-File

> > Perhaps it is time to discuss getting the two of us access to ftp up
> > our work.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not yet so far. :-/ But please go for it!

OK.  I will create a new thread with Eli to discuss.  I will put you
in copy (as I assume you are not far behind :)

Warm regards,
Corwin