RE: standard libraries again (was: Re: [External] : Re: completing-read

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: standard libraries again (was: Re: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 17:39:28 +0000

> > An Elisp "library" is a "package" with or without any
> > additional package-handling paraphernalia.
>
> I think we should have standard libraries like for example
> C with the aspiration for uniformness and general usefulness
> for a broad range of purposes ... the rest would be libraries
> or simply programs (and no such assumptions could then be
> made), and last if it's bundled in the Elisp package way, then
> it's a package of course.

"Library" in Emacs/Elisp has long meant what I said.

Lisp files (e.g. `dired.el') or sets of files (e.g.
Gnus) included with Emacs (perhaps autoloaded) are
referred to as libraries.

You don't need to download them separately.  And
being part of Emacs, they're "standard", if you like.

And they're typically not packages.  The only ones
that are also packages are (I think) those that are
also available from a package repository.  I think
this is the case for Org, for example.