RE: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 13:43:21 +0000

> Drew Adams wrote:

(In this context he wrote only
"That's a different question.")

> >> Not sure about this one. I mean, Emacs has a lot of
> >> external (i.e., not maintained in core) libraries and it
> >> would be a major advantage if they all feel the same when
> >> you use them.
> >
> > That's a different question.
>
> Uhm, what's an Emacs library and how does one feel different
> from another when used please?

At least the feeling part is a question for Arash,
to whom I replied.
___

An Elisp "library" is a "package" with or without
any additional package-handling paraphernalia.

It can be a single Elisp file or a set of related
ones, e.g., files that are required or otherwise
expected to be used together.

When package.el and package repositories were
added to Emacs, the notion of Elisp package was
born.  A package is a library plus some metadata
needed or optional for the package-handling
apparatus.

E.g., `dired+.el' is a single-file library.
Files `bookmark+*.el' compose library Bookmark+.
Neither library is in a package repository (both
were in MELPA at one time).