Re: standard libraries again (was: Re: [External] : Re: completing-read

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: standard libraries again (was: Re: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 23:18:39 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:

>> Now you're getting stuck on the names
>
> You asked "what's an Emacs library"? I thought you wanted to
> know what "library" means to Emacs.

So the truth to the matter is we have a bunch of files all
over the place, with no way of knowing what's in them and
what's where, and this lack of solid libraries compared to
what the most successful languages have is a big part of the
answer to the question why devel time in Elisp is often poor
or moderate?

I tried CL once with SLIME/SBCL/SDL2/OpenGL [1] but the
interactiveness of Elisp wasn't there ... hm, maybe that was
a game loop thing? Is it so, that CL has proper libraries only
Emacs Lisp doesn't?

Here library is a service to the programmer but also ...
well, obviously a utility for the programs to work.

Are libraries part of CL and part of its "industrial strength"
Lisp quality?

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/common-lisp/general-base

--
underground experts united