Re: Customising display-fill-column-indicator-mode

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: Customising display-fill-column-indicator-mode
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 07:24:47 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, August 25th, 2022 at 6:58 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 08:48:19 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: wilnerthomas@tutanota.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > Aug 25, 2022, 06:31 by eliz@gnu.org:
> >
> > > I didn't decline anything. You are probably confusing me with someone
> > > else.
> >
> > Assuming you are right.
> >
> > I have done
> >
> > (setq display-fill-column-indicator t)
> >
> > (setq display-fill-column-indicator-character ?\u2503)
> >
> > (set-face-foreground 'fill-column-indicator "green")
> >
> > (global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode)
>

> This is not the Customize interface. You are obviously not proficient
> enough with Emacs Lisp, so my suggestion was to use "M-x customize-variable"
> instead:

I am working on functionalities in elisp files.  Just calling me not proficient
with emacs and saying adios is very strange.  I have been able to do many
things,
work with alists, making minor-modes, long lisp.  Enhancing your perception is
what
is needed.

> > > With the customize interface, you just type the character, for example
> > > using "C-x 8 RET" followed by the character's codepoint in hex.
>

> To customize the colors of the fill-column-indicator face, use the
> command "M-x customize-face".

> > > I didn't refuse anything.
> >
> > Accepting you are right about this one as well. Have you seen how the
> > indicator
> > character looks like on a dark theme like modus-vivendi?
>

> Feel free to submit a bug report against that theme: it evidently
> should define distinct colors for fill-column-indicator face. Or you
> could customize that face yourself, using "M-x customize-face".

It would be a good thing to fix.  It is the origin of my problem.  Was not
expecting having to delve into the indicator size and character.  Just wanted
to test the indicator feature and get to an opinion of it.