Re: Question about customising faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question about customising faces
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 05:30:51 +0300

> From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:07:41 +0200
>
> On Mon, Aug 29 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > The call with FRAME nil should have been enough.  And in my testing,
> > it is: it sets the attributes for both the first and the subsequent
> > frames.
>
> I just tried with emacs -Q, executing only those `set-face-attribute` calls
> and
> the problem persists. I need to execute both sets in order to get it to work.

Please show a recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", to reproduce the issue.

> Note that the distinction isn't really initial frame vs. subsequent frames.
> Rather, it's frames created before executing the calls to
> `set-face-attributes`
> and after executing those calls.

I don't think I understand what you are saying, but FRAME nil is
documented as affecting both all the existing frames and the future
frames.

> I'm assuming that this is the case mentioned in the doc string of
> set-face-attribute:
>
> "[...] to reset the value
> of some attribute to ‘unspecified’ in a way that overrides the
> non-‘unspecified’ value defined by the face’s spec in ‘defface’,
> for new frames, you must explicitly call this function with FRAME
> set to t and the attribute’s value set to ‘unspecified’; just
> using FRAME of nil will not affect new frames in this case.to reset the value
> of some attribute to ‘unspecified’ in a way that overrides the
> non-‘unspecified’ value defined by the face’s spec in ‘defface’,
> for new frames, you must explicitly call this function with FRAME
> set to t and the attribute’s value set to ‘unspecified’; just
> using FRAME of nil will not affect new frames in this case."

I don't think this is related: you only used 'unspecified' in the call
with FRAME t, not in the calls with FRAME nil (which should have taken
care of everything).