Re: Question about customising faces

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Question about customising faces
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:48:25 +0200

On Tue, Aug 30 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Well, you should have said explicitly that the problem only happens
> with colors that you set to nil.  If I missed that, I apologize for
> not spotting that important detail.

No, I apologise. I didn't say that explicitly.

> What did you expect to happen as result of setting the color of a face
> to nil?

That the face would use the background color defined for the default face.

> And yes, for what (I think) you wanted to achieve, two calls that you
> show in the OP are really necessary.

It seems that a single call, with FRAME set to t and the color set to
'unspecified, works for both the existing frame and for new frames.

[quoting from another email in the thread]
> Resetting a face attribute is a rare enough (and unusual) thing to do,
> so we didn't bother optimizing that for all the current and future
> frames.

Basically, what I wanted to do was to customise a face without using the
Customize interface. Honestly, I don't know if `set-face-attribute` is the
correct way of doing that, but I have similar customisations in my init file for
mode-line-related faces which I found on the net somewhere and they've always
worked.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments