Re: [External] : Running emacs without any customisation

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: [External] : Running emacs without any customisation
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 08:40:04 +0800

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> I agree with you, but its definitely not the result of user settings.
> Some program gets to a condition that make this happen.  It is not a
> straightforward thing.  Things are not clear right now.

X resources are not just put in a file, and Emacs does not really
determine where they come from, which is (in no particular order):

  - the server-global resource string, on the root window of screen 0.
  - screen-local resources, on the root window of the default screen.
  - ~/.Xresources or ~/.Xdefaults, if neither of the above are set.
  - ~/.Xdefaults-name, where name is the name of the machine on which
    *Emacs* is running.
  - application specific resources in XUSERFILESEARCHPATH, XAPPLRESDIR,
    XFILESEARCHPATH, and /usr/X11R6/lib/app-defaults/ (or
    /usr/share/X11/app-defaults).

Trisquel probably sets X resources in an attempt to make oldschool X
programs (of which Emacs is one) match the system GTK stylesheet.