Re: [External] : Running emacs without any customisation

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: [External] : Running emacs without any customisation
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 17:03:01 +0200

> Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 11:17 PM
> From: "Dr Rainer Woitok" <rainer.woitok@gmail.com>
> To: "uzibalqa" <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: [External] :  Running emacs without any customisation
>
> Uzibalqa,

> In an earlier mail within this thread you listed the output from command
>
>    xrdb -query -all | grep -i emacs
>
> This command listed the Emacs specific entries in the "X server resource
> database".   "xrdb" is only listing  the sum of configuration specifica-
> tions others, like your administrator,  your window manager, other soft-
> ware or you personally (via file "~/.Xresources") are providing.
>
> So whereever these specifications originate from,  you can override them
> in your personal "~/.Xresources" file.  Just run
>
>    xrdb -query -all | grep -i emacs > ~/.Xresources
>
> and then edit this file to your heart's content.

> > > Anyway, in Gnu Emacs the file is by default located at "~/.Xresources" -
>
> Michael,   are you sure Gnu Emacs  is actually opening file "~/.Xresour-
> ces"?  I'd suspect it just queries the "X server resource database" like
> anybody else.   For me the current case  is pointing in exactly this di-
> rection.

> > I am using Trisquel 9.   Correct, I did not edit anything and the
> > Xresources file does not exist.
>
> On some Linux distributions  (not sure about Ubuntu and Trisquel) X11 is
> providing system wide  default resource specifications.   So it's better
> to use one's own as described above.
>
> Sincerely
>   Rainer

Following this thread and the related bug one, I tend to agree with this user.
Taking information on typeface for emacs by simply capturing from the x-resource
database is defective.  Because the generally accepted recommendation in to use
customisations from within Emacs, it goes to reason that emacs should not
enforce
the x-resource database by default.  Such settings should be given to those who
know what they are doing, allowing them to specify the x-resource database
information
they want emacs to use.  But the location of the settings must be made in a way
that
experienced users actually specify.