Re: [External] : Re: Morally equivalent

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Morally equivalent
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:20:52 +0200

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 03:02:31PM +0000, Drew Adams wrote:

> > > Probably just meant "no better or worse" (and not morally).
> >
> > Could it be that the writer of that docstring had
> >
> >    ... is NORMALLY equivalent ...
> >
> > in mind?
>
> Yes, could well be.  Maybe accidental.  More likely
> intentional, as Michael offered: "Only that kind of
> slightly funny language Stefan sometimes uses I guess."

Actually, I knew "moral equivalence" as a sloppy and idiomatic
way of stating "equivalent under some criteria of interest in
the current context" (of course, the criteria and the context
are left unspecified ;-)

The discussion led me to some research [1], and yikes. That
rabbit hole was dark and deep indeed...

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_equivalent