Re: Morally equivalent

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Morally equivalent
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:13:36 -0400

Eduardo Ochs [2022-10-16 20:47:29] wrote:
> It is "some sort of technical term":
[...]
>   http://eugeniacheng.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cheng-morality.pdf

While I enjoyed reading that article (thank you for the link), I'm not
sure my fateful use of that term in that docstring coincides with what
the article talks about.

The article's notion of "morally equivalent" seems to have a much more
charged meaning (IIUC it implies that we really believe it to be
equivalent, tho without proof).  I think my use here matches the
description given by Tomas where "morally" was just another way to say
"more or less": I know for a fact that it's not always equivalent, tho
it often is (and when it isn't, the difference can be justified as
an "intuitive" or "natural" consequence of the difference in syntax).

        Stefan