Re: [External] : Re: Setting value 1 when matching two strings

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Setting value 1 when matching two strings
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 02:42:36 +0200

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> Have gone through "An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp" but cannot
> assimilate all that.

That's good.  Nobody can assimilate that all at once.  You can leave out
lots of things that are currently not important to you.

> If there was some condensed article about important tools for the
> elisp programmer, and a crash course on how to use them, that would be
> very helpful.

Dunno if that's possible.  Depends too much on the background of the
reader.  And there is a lot of important stuff to know.  I doubt it fits
in a condensed article, and I doubt even more that you would write good
programs after reading that.  It would be a trap.  The manual is not
that long because the authors were bad, it's full of important things.
If you simplify, no matter where, you'll later regret it.  Waste a lot
of time, and still have to read all of it.

> What I did was look at the emacs website displaying everything on one
> web page.  The Gnu Emacs Info Viewer, is that when you type "info" at
> the shell command line?

The command line program "info" is a reader for the Info documentation
for the command line.  Emacs has its own integrated and very nice Info
reader: type C-h i.

Oh, now I see that you only read the introduction, not the Elisp
reference manual.  I suggest to have a look at that one, too.

Yeah sorry if we sometimes sound rude, but all shortcuts are traps,
_all_ - sorry.  It's hard to defer what one actually wants to do and
read that boring stuff instead.  I guess all of us tried some shortcuts.
We all wasted lots of time more or less.

Michael.