Re: about keysee

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: about keysee
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 06:10:06 +0100

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>>> If you need to manually load `cl-macs` there's probably
>>> a bug somewhere.
>>
>> You should not _need_ to do it but shouldn't it still work
>> _if_ you do it?
>
> Maybe it will work "here and now".
> But if you care about it working for past and/or future
> versions of Emacs... [ As maintainers, we worry a lot about
> this, because the more people rely on internal details the
> harder it is to change them. ]

Yes, I understand, what I mean is in general, if you use
something, say a function f, you do `C-h f' on that and see
that it is defined in some file, say file F, you then look
downmost in that file and see (provide 'F), shouldn't it then
follow that you can just do (require 'F), use f, and that is
(1) correct and (2) enough?

Instead of having special rules, like the one for `cl-lib' in
this sense, shouldn't it instead be up to F to `require'
anything and everything _it_ requires, to provide whatever it
is it is `provide'ing?

And besides don't you want that anyway?

Because if I don't do that with my files, the byte-compiler
complains about undefined functions and stuff ...

Why is this any different?

Do you move things around a lot in the `cl-lib' files, is that
the problem? But as long as the files remain and _they_ load
the whole library first thing - if needed - it's not
a problem, either?

Or what am I missing?

--
underground experts united