Re: package for Email

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: package for Email
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 21:10:25 +0300

Hi,

On 18/01/2023 13:56 +0000, Gottfried wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am using thunderbird for emails.
> My question:
>
> 1. Which Email package do you use?
> Can you tell your experience with your email package?

Gnus.  With just (oh!) 200 lines of elisp configuration, it's almost
perfect.

> 2. Does it make sense for me as an emacs-newbie to change from using
> thunderbird to an emacs email package?

Yes.

> 3. There are
> Rmail, GNU, Wanderlust, Mu4e etc...

GNU -> Gnus?

> 4. I prefer to habe folders because I like to have an overview.
> Mu4e doesn't have folders.

Gnus has two levels of hierarchy: servers and groups within them.

You'll be dealing with a (single) list of groups, where each group comes
from a different "server".  A server may be a remote IMAP server, or a
local one (see (info "(gnus) Choosing a Mail Back End") for local
storage options).

> 5. I want IMAP.
> Do all of them provide IMAP? (does Rmail now provide IMAP)?

Gnus provides it.

> 6. Wanderlust seems to be more difficult to set up, and I still have
> trouble because I am an Emacs-newbie.

Cannot comment on this.

> 7. Which one is easier to use?

Perhaps Rmail, but I cannot tell for sure.

> 8. Should I start with Rmail? and later switch to GNU?
>
> At the moment I don't need GNU for reading news etc...

I never read news in Gnus, only use it as mail client.

> 9. Or is it useful to start with GNU because it has more options and I
> have to learn it anyhow? and I can use it with org-mode?

I'd say that Gnus is worth investing time into it.

> 10. Do all of them have the same or similar keybindings or do I have
> to learn for each one separate keybindings?

I don't know.

> 11. What are the benefits compared to thunderbird?
> A. Only the keybindings of Emacs I can use and in knowing them it will
> be easier in future to handle it?
> B. It is within emacs and uses less CPU
> C......

As usual, common editing experience with other things you do in Emacs,
customization, automating stuff by writing Elisp etc...

Filipp