RE: [External] : Re: Log all my issued commands and keyboard operations.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Log all my issued commands and keyboard operations.
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 18:24:51 +0000

> Try to examine the `command-history' variable;
> it's a list of all the commands you ran.

No, it's not, at all.  It's a minibuffer history
variable.
______

`C-h v' tells you:

command-history is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.

Its value is
((describe-variable 'command-history)
 (kill-buffer "test-foo"))

List of recent commands that read arguments from terminal.
Each command is represented as a form to evaluate.

Maximum length of the history list is determined by the value
of ‘history-length’, which see.
______

And (emacs) `Repetition' tells you:

The list of previous minibuffer-using commands is stored as a Lisp
list in the variable ‘command-history’.  Each element is a Lisp
expression that describes one command and its arguments.  Lisp programs
can re-execute a command by calling ‘eval’ with the ‘command-history’
element.
______

And (elisp) `Command History' tells you:

This variable’s value is a list of recent complex commands, each
     represented as a form to evaluate.  It continues to accumulate all
     complex commands for the duration of the editing session, but when
     it reaches the maximum size (*note Minibuffer History::), the
     oldest elements are deleted as new ones are added.

          command-history
          ⇒ ((switch-to-buffer "chistory.texi")
              (describe-key "^X^[")
              (visit-tags-table "~/emacs/src/")
              (find-tag "repeat-complex-command"))

   This history list is actually a special case of minibuffer history
(*note Minibuffer History::), with one special twist: the elements are
expressions rather than strings.

   There are a number of commands devoted to the editing and recall of
previous commands.  The commands ‘repeat-complex-command’, and
‘list-command-history’ are described in the user manual (*note
(emacs)Repetition::).  Within the minibuffer, the usual minibuffer
history commands are available.