Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 18:00:30 -0700

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Here are the minimal (?) commands required to install the
> latest Emacs on Debian.
>
> I removed the shell functions in this version, if that is what
> made it so scary last time. (But actually I recommend using
> functions: less error prone, faster and more reliable.)
>
> Anyway, as you now see below beyond doubt, it is
> a trivial affair.
>
> Installing Emacs is step 1-3 and 5, that is 12 commands.
> Upgrading it after that, step 4 and 5, is only 7 commands.
> All of them well familiar to most Joe Unix Hacker on
> the globe.
>
> If one can do it better or shorter, do say! And when we are
> done, we could mail the EmacsWiki maintainers and ask them to
> publish the list of commands, if they lack such a page.
>
> # 1. setup directories
> src_dir=~/src
> emacs_dir=${src_dir}/emacs
> mkdir -p $emacs_dir
>
> # 2. get dependencies
> sudo apt-get -qq update
> sudo apt-get install build-essential debian-goodies libgccjit-10-dev
> sudo apt-get build-dep emacs

This pulled in a *LOT* of stuff.

> # 3. get source
> cd $src_dir
> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
>
> # 4. refresh source/upgrade
> cd $emacs_dir
> git fetch
> git merge

I modified this to 'git pull' as previously suggested.  There was
nothing to pull.

> # 5. compile and install
> autogen.sh
> configure --with-x-toolkit=no --with-native-compilation
> make
> sudo make install

Gave this a try.  Still having problems:

1. with-x-toolkit=no means no Lucid or GTK -- the process gets much more
complex for dependency if you want a toolkit (I think Lucid is easier
than GTK)
2. autogen.sh and configure need "./" in front of them (you never know
what PATH the user is using).
3. The GNUMakefile in the Emacs distribution seems to rerun configure
with no options, so your "configure" is NO-OP.
4. You can add arguments to the configure in the make step by passing
'configure="--ARG1..."' to make.
5. Even so, after doing everything else you listed and using your
configure options, I got these libraries missing with configure
suggesting how to get around it:
          libXpm libjpeg libgif/libungif libtiff gnutls
6. Oops -- missed the build-dep step!  Got thru configure and it's
building properly, but it's gonna take awhile...  ;)
7. Probably should've tee'd the output of make to a log file... :(

I'm building on a Chromebook with a basic Debian v11.7.

--
David Masterson