Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 04:15:33 +0200

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. with-x-toolkit=no means no Lucid or GTK -- the process gets much more
> complex for dependency if you want a toolkit (I think Lucid is easier
> than GTK)

Note that "no toolkit" doesn't mean no X menus and scrollbars etc.  You
lose a bit of convenience and eye candy, but nothing fundamental: Emacs
has limited support for these things (that is also planned to be
improved).

That is because, IIRC, GTK will eventually be dropped, and Lucid also
has problems (was it some unfixable bugs or crashs?).  I have also
switched to a no-toolkit build now.  The other builds work well in
general, too, but there are these disadvantages.

> 2. autogen.sh and configure need "./" in front of them (you never know
> what PATH the user is using).
> 3. The GNUMakefile in the Emacs distribution seems to rerun configure
> with no options, so your "configure" is NO-OP.
> 4. You can add arguments to the configure in the make step by passing
> 'configure="--ARG1..."' to make.
> 5. Even so, after doing everything else you listed and using your
> configure options, I got these libraries missing with configure
> suggesting how to get around it:
>           libXpm libjpeg libgif/libungif libtiff gnutls
> 6. Oops -- missed the build-dep step!  Got thru configure and it's
> building properly, but it's gonna take awhile...  ;)
> 7. Probably should've tee'd the output of make to a log file... :(

Sounds good (and also sounds like you have surely the needed skills).

Michael.