Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 00:12:00 +0200

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> Agreed to both of you.  Installing the dependencies via the standard
> system package manager gives you the (illusionary?) feeling that the
> dependencies are okay with everything else on the system.

Dunno about the feelings - but the package managers job is to _ensure_
that dependencies are ok.  There can be conflicts that have to be
resolved (before anything is changed on disk).  Then you should
keep an eye on what you are doing or what the automatic resolver
suggests - before confirming a suggestion that will remove the complete
desktop environment you are just using at the moment.

Nothing will just break because you install some additional packages.
That's just - feelings.

> Building yourself is time consuming (especially on a Chromebook! [CBs go
> to sleep when you walk away!]) and increases diisk space usage.

You can use the -j switch to build using multiple CPUs in parallel (when
you have them).  I am using "make -j4" and that builds Emacs completely
in few minutes on a really old Laptop.  A rebuild is often much faster
anyway (when not everything has to be build from scratch).

Michael.