Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 18:35:50 +0200

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> I think it was something about docstring width.
>>
>> But I've spent too much time on this.
>
> Don't want to suggest which Emacs version to use - but for
> your private stuff, you can just ignore those warnings about
> docstrings (or just turn them off, locally). You have no
> disadvantages to fear when using that code with the new
> Emacs version. The compiler warnings just have been
> improved, there are more checks.

No kidding, but there should be a clear line what warnings are
considered unimportant and maybe people don't care to get rid
of them.

Warnings should only be when there is a WARNING not trying to
enforce some convention or habit for no real practical reason,
also bugs are often introduced when fixing bugs, so one
shouldn't "overfix" them.

I'm saying this just generally, with no real understanding
what warning makes sense to have and what doesn't.

But bugs one understands very well can be fun to fix, but it
is just because using Emacs is fun.

The right way if one assumed "unlimited resources for the
cause", someone would write a byte-compiler that didn't echo
trivial warnings, instead it would change the source
automatically into the prefered form unless one said no, in
what case nothing would happen.

That wouldn't even be AI - it would be better - because it
would be compiler design, obviously fixing docstrings can't be
compared to that - unless the compiler fixes the
docstrings, maybe.

And after that maybe one could merge AI and compiler design ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal