Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 21:48:06 -0700

>> > Don't want to suggest which Emacs version to use - but for
>> > your private stuff, you can just ignore those warnings about
>> > docstrings (or just turn them off, locally). You have no
>> > disadvantages to fear when using that code with the new
>> > Emacs version. The compiler warnings just have been
>> > improved, there are more checks.
>>
>> No kidding, but there should be a clear line what warnings are
>> considered unimportant and maybe people don't care to get rid
>> of them.
>
> None of them is unimportant!
>
> I just think all the problems are not new in the OPs init file, they
> just had not being discovered until now (and there were the obsoletion
> warnings).  So using the old Emacs version is as good as using a master
> build and ignore the warnings (for now) - that's what I wanted to say.

My init file seems to not have a problem in Emacs 27.1.  I have not
investigated all of what's happening in 30.0.50, but it's probably
changes that haven't been rolled into the versions of packages I have in
~/.emacs.d/elpa yet.

The thing that bothered me was getting warnings at regular intervals
from Hyperbole, but I haven't checked why.  Probably a background timer
of some sort.

>> Warnings should only be when there is a WARNING not trying to
>> enforce some convention or habit for no real practical reason,
>> also bugs are often introduced when fixing bugs, so one
>> shouldn't "overfix" them.
>
> From participating in emacs-dev I can tell that this is not happening.

The deprecation warnings are important in telling the user to keep an
eye for a new version of a package (ie. run package-update from time to
time), but should be something you can turn off after you've seen it.

--
David Masterson