Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 22:34:51 +0200

David Masterson wrote:

> Installing the dependencies via the standard system package
> manager gives you the (illusionary?) feeling that the
> dependencies are okay with everything else on the system.
> Using something like flatpak gives you the feeling that the
> dependencies are in a safe sandbox and won't effect the
> system, but potentially increases disk space usage (a strong
> consideration on a smallish Chromebook). Building yourself
> is time consuming (especially on a Chromebook! [CBs go to
> sleep when you walk away!]) and increases diisk space usage.

The disk space required seems to be 1.5G. It compiles pretty
quickly on my 3600 Mhz quad-core. I don't know if that is
a fast or slow computer, it seems fast to me but at the same
time I would be surprised if I have the faster computer
out there.

One thing I know tho, Emacs, with native compilation, is
certainly fast enough for me!

As for the package aspect which you seem to return to over and
over, I must admit I have not thought of that in connection to
the compile-manually-or-not issue, so I leave that without
comments ;)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal