Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 08:25:25 +0300

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 18:00:30 -0700
>
> > # 1. setup directories
> > src_dir=~/src
> > emacs_dir=${src_dir}/emacs
> > mkdir -p $emacs_dir
> >
> > # 2. get dependencies
> > sudo apt-get -qq update
> > sudo apt-get install build-essential debian-goodies libgccjit-10-dev
> > sudo apt-get build-dep emacs
>
> This pulled in a *LOT* of stuff.
>
> > # 3. get source
> > cd $src_dir
> > git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
> >
> > # 4. refresh source/upgrade
> > cd $emacs_dir
> > git fetch
> > git merge
>
> I modified this to 'git pull' as previously suggested.  There was
> nothing to pull.
>
> > # 5. compile and install
> > autogen.sh
> > configure --with-x-toolkit=no --with-native-compilation
> > make
> > sudo make install
>
> Gave this a try.  Still having problems:

Is this about concise and comprehensive instructions for how to build
Emacs?  In such cases, I've many times found the "Linux from scratch!"
site very useful.  In this case, read here:

  https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/emacs.html

This lists all the dependencies, both mandatory and optional.  Each
dependency is a link to another page, which describes how to build it
(if you don't have it installed already, and cannot download a
pre-built package).  If you want to decide which optional dependency
you want, read the file INSTALL in the Emacs source tree, it gives
that information.

> 3. The GNUMakefile in the Emacs distribution seems to rerun configure
> with no options, so your "configure" is NO-OP.

That's incorrect.  I guess you've misread GNUMakefile.  In reality, if
you have run the configure script, GNUMakefile redirects to the
top-level Makefile, and that obeys the configure-time options.

> 4. You can add arguments to the configure in the make step by passing
> 'configure="--ARG1..."' to make.

True.  Type "./configure --help" for the full story.

> 7. Probably should've tee'd the output of make to a log file... :(

Or run the commands inside Emacs's shell mode.