Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 13:23:46 -0700

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> David Masterson wrote:
>
>>> Is this about concise and comprehensive instructions for
>>> how to build Emacs? In such cases, I've many times found
>>> the "Linux from scratch!" site very useful. In this case,
>>> read here:
>>>
>>>   https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/emacs.html
>>
>> Useful, but for Emacs 28.2. The script I followed above got
>> me 30.0.50. I may rethink being bleeding edge.
>>
>> Your URL link (sort of) assumes a GTK rather than Lucid
>> X-toolkit. The above script seems to assume no-toolkit.
>
> It is just an option, you can remove it if you like.

Thought about that, but I think I then have to figure out the GTK or
Lucid stuff (w/ dependencies) to pull in.

> The option you really want is to build Emacs
> --with-native-compilation as that is a killer feature and
> makes Emacs much faster.

Building 30.0.5 took a long time.  I think the Chromebook went to sleep
overnight and only finished when I came back.

First test of it suggests I need to rethink my .emacs.  I'm getting
warnings about package 'autoload' being deprecated as well as a ton of
warnings of "free variable" and "docstring".  If I have to rebuild my
Emacs package library, I'll probably backtrack to 28.2 and see what
happens.

--
David Masterson