Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup

From: Sune
Subject: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup
Date: 8 Oct 2005 12:51:17 -0700

First of all, this is a crosspost, but since I get no feedback from the
other group I'm hoping for you guys. Thanks!

Hi,

I've just moved from Eclipse CDT's 'Managed makefiles' to GNU's
Autotools. It's a small project with 1 base directory and 3
subdirectories:

rsd-----+----collections

        +----debug

        +----global

All 3 subdirectories stores .c files and accompanying .h files. At this
point they compile properly, i.e. 'collections' and 'debug' directories
compile to 1 executable each and 'global' outputs a static library.

Note: The project will grow considerably, it would just be nice to have

my environment up to par before that happens.

Question:
------------
At this point all object files, binaries and libraries end up in the
same directory as the source code from which they are created. This
means a mess and I would want something like this:

                         +----bin (for executables)
rsd-----+----collections-+----obj (for intermediate object files)
        |                +----lib (for libraries)
        +----debug  (as for collections)

        +----global (as for collections)

How do I achieve this in a smooth way? I've tried the manuals and the
net without being any wiser, so please, any hint is appreciated. I
program in C, by the way.

Thanks in advance
/Sune