Re: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup

From: Peter T. Breuer
Subject: Re: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:57:18 +0200

In comp.os.linux.development.system Sune <sune_ahlgren@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think you're close. What I do right now is that I execute 'make' to
> use the Makefile in the base directory rsd/ which I have configured
> with Automake's Makefil.am like this:

> AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign
> SUBDIRS = collections debug global

Oh - you want autoconf to set some of that up for you. Sorry - I
wouldn't do such a thing but there are examples out there to study.

> This means that 'make' goes about its business recursively in
> 'collections/', 'debug/' and 'global/'. However I would like to get
> some information on how I can configure Automake's Makefil.am in each
> of these 3 directories and direct the targets to eg:

I'm afraid I still don't know what you mean, if it wasn't what I
suggested you meant - namely that you want to put the object files in
a different place than the source files.

> collections/--+--obj/*.o
>               +--lib/libcollections.a
>               +--bin/collections

> Right now *.o, libcollections.a and collections end up in the
> 'collections/' directory together with my source files which is quite
> messy.

I told you how to fix that. I'm not clear on what else you want! My
guess is that you don't want to write down the three lines I gave
yourself, but instead want automake to make makefiles with them in?

Is that it?

Peter