Re: [Help-gnucap] Problem attaching models

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Problem attaching models
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:58:29 -0400

On Tuesday 11 March 2008, Rubén Gómez Antolí wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question and a problem around attach model.

There are some known bugs.

Plugin attachment is not in its final form.  It will change
before the stable release.  There is some question of
how it should work.  Your comments will be helpful.

> * The question:
>
> If I untar models tarball after compile gnucap and compile &
> install, are these models installed in my system before that?

No.  Plugins are usually built after gnucap is compiled and
installed.  Plugins require access to the gnucap header files.
Eventually, the header files will be installed somewhere
when gnucap is installed.  Eventually, you will be able at
"attach" the source files without manually compiling first.

Plugins are distributed separately, so they can be added later.
If you are on a shared system, this allows gnucap to be installed
for everyone to use, and plugins to be in your own space.

Plugins do not yet have a "make install".  Actually, all of the
"make install" has not been updated for plugins.

> I can't attach anything:

> Gnucap 2008.02.10 RCS 26.71
> The Gnu Circuit Analysis Package
> Never trust any version less than 1.0
> Copyright 1982-2007, Albert Davis
> Gnucap comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> This is free software, and you are welcome
> to redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later.
> See the file "COPYING" for details.
> gnucap> attach asrc.so
> attach asrc.so
>        ^ ? asrc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

With no / it searches in the lib path.  If you want it there,
you need to manually put it there.

> gnucap> attach ./asrc.so
> attach ./asrc.so
>        ^ ? ./asrc.so: failed to map segment from shared
> object: Operation not permitted

I don't know what that means.  I never saw that message.
Here's a guess:  Maybe the plugin is compiled for a different
architecture than the main program.  Maybe the compiler
switches are different.  Let me know if you can figure it out.

> And, I don't know why "get" command don't run:
>
> gnucap> get Fuente_no_lineal_Gnucap.ckt
> get Fuente_no_lineal_Gnucap.ckt
> ^ ? what's this?

Try ".get" .. or change it as suggesed in my other mail.

> Kernel: Linux 2.6.21-1-powerpc

That may be the problem.  I have not tested it there.