Re: [Help-gnucap] Problem attaching models

From: Rubén Gómez Antolí
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Problem attaching models
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:26:51 +0100

Hello Al,

al davis wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2008, Rubén Gómez Antolí wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a question and a problem around attach model.
>
> There are some known bugs.
>
> Plugin attachment is not in its final form.  It will change
> before the stable release.  There is some question of
> how it should work.  Your comments will be helpful.

Ok, I'll think about, when I have anything to say about I'll do.

In this moment I think that plugin method is interesting, a flexible
method of work with models and for attaching new commands (I read lasts
threads on this list, really educational).

>> * The question:
>>
>> If I untar models tarball after compile gnucap and compile &
>> install, are these models installed in my system before that?
>
> No.  Plugins are usually built after gnucap is compiled and
> installed.  Plugins require access to the gnucap header files.
> Eventually, the header files will be installed somewhere
> when gnucap is installed.  Eventually, you will be able at
> "attach" the source files without manually compiling first.

Sorry, language issue here, untar models tarball before and installed after.

> Plugins are distributed separately, so they can be added later.
> If you are on a shared system, this allows gnucap to be installed
> for everyone to use, and plugins to be in your own space.

There was my question, I think that after install gnucap+plugins,
plugins should be accesible; under /usr/local/anything?

> [...]
>> gnucap> attach asrc.so
>> attach asrc.so
>>        ^ ? asrc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> With no / it searches in the lib path.  If you want it there,
> you need to manually put it there.

Should be the result of a "make install"? (Plugins installed under lib path)

Is easy write a circuit with "attach asrc.so" and distribute it,
difficult to write a circuit with "attach /path/to/asrc.so" and
distribute, do not?

>> gnucap> attach ./asrc.so
>> attach ./asrc.so
>>        ^ ? ./asrc.so: failed to map segment from shared
>> object: Operation not permitted
>
> I don't know what that means.  I never saw that message.
> Here's a guess:  Maybe the plugin is compiled for a different
> architecture than the main program.  Maybe the compiler
> switches are different.  Let me know if you can figure it out.

I'm not a programmer but I revised Make2 and Makefile (for Gnucap) and
not find any susceptible differences with flags.

Gnucap and models are compiled at same time with configure+make under
PowerPc.

I try other model:

gnucap> attach ./res.so
attach ./res.so
       ^ ? ./res.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation
not permitted

Make and gcc version:

address@hidden:~/Practicas_2008/Practica_2/Circuitos/Campo_de_pruebas$
make --version
GNU Make 3.81
Este es software libre; consulte en el código fuente las condiciones de
copia.
NO hay garantía; ni siquiera para MERCANTIBILIDAD o EL CUMPLIMIENTO DE
ALGÚN PROPÓSITO PARTICULAR.

 Este programa fue construido para powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
address@hidden:~/Practicas_2008/Practica_2/Circuitos/Campo_de_pruebas$
gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.2.3 (Debian 4.2.3-2)

I try under my other machine:

address@hidden:~/Fuentes/gnucap-2008-02-11$ ll models-ngspice17/res/res.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 razer razer 646K Mar 11 22:21 models-ngspice17/res/res.so
address@hidden:~/Fuentes/gnucap-2008-02-11$ gnucap
Gnucap 2008.02.10 RCS 26.71
The Gnu Circuit Analysis Package
Never trust any version less than 1.0
Copyright 1982-2007, Albert Davis
Gnucap comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome
to redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later.
See the file "COPYING" for details.
gnucap> attach ./models-ngspice17/res/res.so
R: already installed, replacing
stashing as R:0
gnucap> .get prueba.ckt
 LINEAL - PRUEBA DE CONCEPTO
 BINT 0 2 I=1+V(1)
 ^ ? B: no match
 BVCO 3 0 V=5*SIN(2*PI*10*V(2))
 ^ ? B: no match
RIN: can't find: 1
gnucap> quit

It attach well.

>> And, I don't know why "get" command don't run:
>>
>> gnucap> get Fuente_no_lineal_Gnucap.ckt
>> get Fuente_no_lineal_Gnucap.ckt
>> ^ ? what's this?
>
> Try ".get" .. or change it as suggesed in my other mail.

Ok, you can see now it above ;^D

>> Kernel: Linux 2.6.21-1-powerpc
>
> That may be the problem.  I have not tested it there.

Well, here are the tester  ^_^  . In other apps I have encounter issues
respect little and big endian, should be something related?

More test to do?

Thanks too much Al.

Salud y Revolución.

Lobo.

Pd.:I hope that language issues don't disturb this mail again, sorry
again for my very bad english.
--
Libertad es poder elegir en cualquier momento. Ahora yo elijo GNU/Linux,
para no atar mis manos con las cadenas del soft propietario.