Re: [Help-gnunet] Block order

From: Tom Barnes-Lawrence
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Block order
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:23:49 +0000

Ahem, sorry.
 Since writing that email, I started to realise that I had in fact
misunderstood what was happening (or the situation changed).

 Pre 0.5.0, I'd not found a vast amount of content, but some of it
was quite large, and I noticed how it tended to arrive in apparently
random order, and then eventually the gaps would get filled in.
 After 0.5.0, I've downloaded even less (the first few things simply
sat at zero K forever), mostly just some very small files till now.

 Now I'm finally succeeding with more stuff, I now see that it does
seem to be downloading in *mostly* sequential order and much of the
remaining randomness must be down to the network.

 On the one hand, you mentioned a change in the past to randomize
the request order (which would explain what I found pre 0.5.0), but
then you say about sub-blocks of each iblock getting downloaded in
order. I don't know if that means that the requests sent out are now
*entirely* sequential, or just partly sequential with some randomness
still involved other than the network delays.

 No matter, either way, it seems now that the earliest blocks are
already likely to be received very near the beginning of a download,
so my question seems to have been answered anyway. Sorry about that.

> >  Oh, and are the keywords case sensitive, and what characters are valid?
>
> Keywords are case sensitive and you can use any character (other than '\0').
> The difficult part would of course be to convince your shell (or gui) to pass
> "any charater" to GNUnet.

 Hmm, in which case, that idea I'd been mentioning a few weeks back
("informal protocols") would seem to have even more use- eg, to specify
that users ought to use mostly lower-case keywords unless they're trying
to make stuff hard to find for whatever reason. But such things can
wait for another day.

Tom Barnes-Lawrence