Re: [Help-gnunet] indexing -> size taken in database

From: Steven
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] indexing -> size taken in database
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:43:34 -0700

On Friday 16 April 2004 12:45 pm, Brent Miller wrote:
> If you mean inserted content, that's just what happens. I've found that
> I've been unable to download inserted content only 12 hours after
> inserting it.

This sounds like a serious issue!  Perhaps the distributed file storage in
Gnunet isn't working.  I wonder what percentage of un-indexed files are
actually retrievable in Gnunet.  Perhaps this kind of distributed file
storage system is not viable without FEC redundancy.  (perhaps the block size
is a problem as well?)

If you were to insert a 100MB file that would create 100,000 (?) 1k blocks
that scatter randomly across gnunet.  If even one of those blocks falls off
the network, that file is completely irretrievable.  Maybe some statistics
guru would be able to come up with a figure that would show the probability
of retrieving this kind of data?  After all, if this aspect of gnunet isn't
working, it would seem to me that the security of Gnunet is at stake as well.
It seems that security wise, gnunet would be reduced to that of MUTE but with
the possibility of a direct connection between sender and receiver.

I know that it would be no trivial task, but I think that it would be
interesting to do experiments with a network where indexing was disabled.