Re: [Help-gnunet] OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in gnunet.conf?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in gnunet.conf?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:22:23 -0500

On Thursday 10 February 2005 21:48, Brent Miller wrote:
> I was helping a friend setup gnunet on one of his computers which is
> behind a typical DSL router. We forwarded 2086 and set up  "IP =
> xxxxxxx.dyndns.org" in the root gnunet.conf, and despite everything we
> tried, we couldn't get it to connect until we put the actual numerical
> IP address in the IP field. I was under the assumption that this was
> okay, but I guess it's not? If not, it would be a handy thing to have.

GNUnet should do the DNS lookup for you, yes.  Now, there are two possible
problems.  First, it is possible that the dyndns server did not actually work
(as in, GNUnet tried correctly to resolve the name, and it got back no IP or
the wrong IP); or something was broken with the GNUnet code.  Hard to tell
without further information.

> Unrelated to the above, I've read that version 0.7 is supposed to fix
> the abandoned content problem, but is there going to be an increase in
> download speed as well, or is the nature of gnunet that there will
> always be 3-8KB/s downloads? Just curious.

Well, we'll have provisions that should reduce the abandoned content problem
(not necessarily eliminate, that would be very difficult: you can always have
a peer go away just after some other peer cached some parts of the file;
however, you can have the content time out eventually).  We also have hopes
that various changes may significantly speed up downloads, but depending on
where the bottleneck is for your particular download/configuration it may
also do nothing (say, if you're using a 56kbps modem and getting 5kbps, it's
not going to change :-).  So again, 0.7.0 may speed things up (at least once
the code is stable, in the meantime performance is likely to be much worse),
but don't get your hopes too high just yet, especially the first release(s)
would likely disappoint you otherwise.

Christian