Re: [Help-gnunet] downloads and CPU (was: OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in g

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] downloads and CPU (was: OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in gnunet.conf?)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:26:21 -0500

On Sunday 13 February 2005 15:09, Brent Miller wrote:
> Christian Grothoff wrote:
> >You could compile gnunet-gtk with profilings support (-pg) and look at the
> >gprof output to find out where the cycles are spent.
>
> This is about 20 minutes worth of downloading:
>
> $ gprof /usr/local/bin/gnunet-gtk Flat profile:
> Each sample counts as 0.01 seconds.
>   %   cumulative   self              self     total
>  time   seconds   seconds    calls  Ts/call  Ts/call  name
>  80.00      0.04     0.04                             displayStats
>  20.00      0.05     0.01                             alphaComp

Hmm.  "displayStats" itself is largely calls to gtk+ (which is of course not
compiled with -pg, so we don't see anything inside there).  Just as a hunch
(I'm not even sure that it would do anything), have you considered closing
the stats (that's the download progress) window?  Maybe the UI updates are
what kill your CPU (now, one question is how much of that update code would
still happen with that window being closed). However, all of that does not
explain why gnunet-download takes so much CPU.  Very strange.

Do you have similar data for gnunet-download?

Christian