Re: [Help-gnunet] OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in gnunet.conf?

From: Brent Miller
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] OK to use a FQDN for 'IP' in gnunet.conf?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:55:29 -0800

Christian Grothoff wrote:

GNUnet should do the DNS lookup for you, yes. Now, there are two possible problems. First, it is possible that the dyndns server did not actually work (as in, GNUnet tried correctly to resolve the name, and it got back no IP or the wrong IP); or something was broken with the GNUnet code. Hard to tell without further information.
Thanks for the reply. We checked the hostname to make sure it was resolving to the right IP and that wasn't the problem. However, we tried it again today with the hostname and everything seemed to work okay, so I'm not really sure what was wrong.

One more thing. It's been a while since I've tried to download anything off of gnunet and today I gave it a try on my home machine and noticed that gnunet-download and gnunet-gtk both use up *a lot* of cpu when they're downloading large (300 MB+) files. On my athlon-xp 1700+, both will easily use up all my cpu and bog down my system in the process. With gnunet-gtk, I can see that there are well over 3000 active requests for one file, which I assume is what's eating up all the cpu. Did something change in the code in the last six months or so? I've haven't had this problem in the past. Any suggestions? Running GNUnet-0.6.6a on debian sid.

Thanks again,
Brent