Re: [Help-gnunet] What about a Wiki

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] What about a Wiki
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:23:58 +0100

On 12/10/2013 10:08 PM, Moratinos Sébastien wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I missed many page of documentation.
> In particular all the configuration part.
> I did not see it :(
>
> Furthermore, I had problems with the French translation (bug Drupal).
>
> Then I am say "why the blog and the documentation are on the same site?"
> Why not a wiki ? It's a perfect solution for a collaborative
> documentation, and more user friendly.
>
> I decided to copy all the documentation to a Wiki.
>
> I almost ended all the part in English except the developer handbook
> (yet), and I'm translating all doc in french.

Could you _please_ at least submit the results to Drupal as well? I
understand
that Drupal's stuff may not show nicely right now, but that'll eventually be
fixed, and I'd really dislike translation work to be duplicated.

> Later, I shall like adding more diagram, image, etc....
> I chose dokuwiki (https://www.dokuwiki.org/), because I know it and
> because I like the fact that it hasn't database (it's only simple files)
> and just install PHP.
>
> At the moment it is hosted on my local machine and not accessible from
> outside, but if you find that it is a good idea, I would give you all
> files, in order to host a GNUnet wiki, and test it.
> I am ready to put a lot into this wiki.
>
> So, what about a Wiki ?

Do you plan to administer it?  Note that I see about 100-200 accounts
being created by spammers  on gnunet.org per month _despite_ the
captcha.

Also, all Wikis that I know tend to end up having VERY different
translations with very different structure.  With the current system,
we at least have a reasonable chance of comparable content in different
languages.

I'm happy for people to make suggestions for how to make our manuals
more accessible (i.e. better structure, etc.).  But I must admit that
I have a personal bias against wikis.  Whenever I've seen them used
by projects with a moderate group, they have evolved into a useless
mess.  Naturally, you may have a different experience, but I think
the main reason that our website might not be great is (1) that simply
nobody qualified had enough time to work on it (which switching technologies
won't fix), and (2) that we have a hard time getting volunteers to work
on it as they have to contact a developer to raise their permissions,
which creates a psychological barrier (but if we did not do this,
spam would end up being 90% of the website, or we'd end up spending
more time deleting spam than writing documentation).

That's my analysis, but as always I'm listening to other opinions,
especially of people that are helping.

Happy hacking!

Christian