Re: Determining whether gnunet is connected

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: Determining whether gnunet is connected
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 20:55:38 +0000

> On 4. Mar 2022, at 13:46, Fungilife can be eternal <fungilife@protonmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Fungilife,
>>
>> What exactly are you having problems with? I maintain the AUR package, and I
>> would like to fix it if there is a problem. What is the “crucial setup
>> information” that is hidden? The AUR package should work out of the box by
>> just launching `sudo systemctl start gnunet`.
>

> No, this is what I am saying, it is just as easy on Arch getting the very
> latest version built and installed, it is not a debian old version issue, but
> since it is so easy in some distros to install everything, going back to the
> site you tend to skip the "Installation" documentation, which is much more
> than just installation, it is initial setup as well as "post-installation".
>
> The rest of the documentation is way too theoretical and requires way too
> much study to make any sense to the uninitiated. My message was that it is
> not a package version problem as much as how the maze of documentation is
> arranged.
>
> Again, GnuNet's first page needs:
>
> Why GnuNet ?     No particular reason it seems.

I don't understand. What is unclear about the front page?
https://www.gnunet.org/
It also leads you to the about page https://www.gnunet.org/en/about.html
which eventually leads you to the docs.
(And yes, that is where it gets a bit hairy)

> How?             Too complex, why do we need more networking?

I think you have a point here that there could be a written justification on
the complexity of the components (such as TNG) on the webpage.
There is plenty in the docs, but again, could be improved.

> Who?             It says Gnu, so it must be Gnu people doing it, not easy to
> get involved with them.

Again, there is a https://www.gnunet.org/en/engage.html which you can find
links for on the front page twice.
Is there anything unclear how to get in contact?

> Documentation can only be as effective as the motive it presents to read any
> further.

I think you are getting caught up in the handbook (rightly so). But for what
you are asking the
initial place to put that is the webpage, not the handbook.

BR