Re: Determining whether gnunet is connected

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: Determining whether gnunet is connected
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:11:24 +0000

> On 2. Mar 2022, at 16:31, awds--- via Peer-to-Peer networking with GNUnet
> <help-gnunet@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Since GNUnet is currently an academic exercise, it should be removed
> from main distribution repositories. For example: Anyone thinking to
> try GNUnet on Debian-based machines would look in Synaptic and install
> GNUnet v0.10.1. Presumably that build-version worked when it was first
> included in the repositories, but now GNUnet is at v0.16.0 which is not
> backward compatible.

That reasoning does not make sense.
Which packages to include and in what version is completely under the
discretion of the distribution and packager.
So, for example, Debian commonly includes quite "dated" packages
in stable (in comparison with other distros).
Users running Debian will all install this version. GNUnet 0.10 peers are
still compatible to _each other_. So there is not problem there in theory.
In practice you may not find a lot of peers (but I may be wrong!)
Of course we do not recommend running 0.10. But what distributions do
is not in our purview.

Most gnunet packages are in community repositories as far as I know.
And that is perfectly fine for now. If a packager wants to pick it up
that is also fine. If a DD decides to bump the version because there is
a full moon today that is also great.

> The low version number should warn users away, but GNUnet in the
> repositories is misleading given its low level of development.

We do not want to "warn users away". But certainly manage expectations.
Distributions often contain very early stage software.
Mostly when that software is not part of the core system, though.
And usually in "unstable" repositories.
I remember the first few releases of GNOME3, which were almost unusable due to
bugs
and had major feature regressions from GNOME2 as an extreme example.
Or Wayland which still has issues/missing features.

In comparison with those code bases, gnunet is still relatively accessible.
(But it is very much systems programming)